Company highlights major milestones achieved over the past year
DENVER, Jan. 12, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — DaVita today celebrated its teammates (employees) for their contributions that helped improve the lives of kidney patients, advance innovation in kidney care and better serve communities around the world in 2021.
“Adversity like we’ve seen in the past two years causes some to break and others to have breakthroughs. Despite the challenges, our team united to do what we do best: take great care of our patients while striving to give back to our communities in new and meaningful ways. I’m so proud to work alongside such diverse, purpose-driven individuals,” DaVita CEO Javier Rodriguez said.
Moving forward, DaVita remains centered on strengthening its capabilities and setting itself apart as a comprehensive kidney care provider.
“From helping patients and physicians better manage kidney disease to fueling innovation that improves transplantation, we continue setting the standard for comprehensive kidney care in 2022 and beyond,” Rodriguez added.
To learn more about DaVita and its commitment to transforming kidney care for patients around the globe, visit DaVita.com/About.
Improving the lives of patients
- U.S. teammates administered approximately 217,000 COVID-19 vaccines and boosters, thanks to state and federal vaccine allocations to the dialysis community.
- DaVita International produced industry-leading COVID-19 dialysis patient vaccination rates, including 92% in Germany, 98% in Portugal, 96% in Saudi Arabia and 98% in Malaysia.
- A DaVita Clinical Research study helped provide further evidence that mRNA COVID-19 vaccinations help protect at-risk dialysis patients.
- More than 30,000 DaVita patients received convenient home dialysis. This was the first year more than 15% of DaVita patients with end stage kidney disease (ESKD) treated at home.
- DaVita extended the benefits of integrated care to nearly 20,000 new patients.
- More than 7,500 DaVita patients received a kidney transplant—an estimated increase of 3% from the previous year.
- More than 28,000 people participated in a Kidney Smart® class—a record-setting year of engagement for the kidney disease education program.
- DaVita exceeded patients’ expectations, receiving a Net Promoter Score of 60. A Net Promoter Score of 50 is considered “excellent.”
Advancing innovation in kidney care
- DaVita Venture Group invested in innovations that have the potential to transform kidney care, including:
- A needle-free test to help determine if a patient’s body is rejecting a transplanted kidney.
- Technology for bioengineering fully transplantable organs.
- Technology-based solutions to help reduce health disparities among multi-cultural populations.
- A health care company aiming to better address heart disease—an effort that could also help kidney patients as hypertension is a leading cause of ESKD.
- Thanks to engaged kidney doctors and care teams working within DaVita Integrated Kidney Care’s (DaVita IKC) innovative model of care, DaVita IKC patients avoided more than 10,000 days in the hospital.
- DaVita IKC launched innovative new value-based care programs with health plans, including Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota, to address the holistic kidney health needs of patients with CKD and ESKD.
- 80% of DaVita patients live within 10 miles of a DaVita Home program—a tremendous advancement in making home dialysis more accessible.
- DaVita launched virtual support groups through DaVita Care Connect®, a telehealth platform for home dialysis patients, to help create community and belonging while treating at home.
Better serving communities around the world
- DaVita set Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) goals for 2025 as published in its first ESG report, bolstering its commitment to corporate citizenship, transparency and accountability.
- DaVita published its first-ever Diversity & Belonging report, disclosing its diversity metrics and roadmap for delivering its vision of cultivating “a diverse community where everyone belongs.”
- Diversity: 78% of DaVita’s teammates are women, and 52% are people of color.
- Belonging: 84% of teammates feel a sense of belonging within the DaVita community.
- DaVita demonstrated its commitment to environmental stewardship:
- The company’s U.S. operations became 100% powered by renewable energy, thanks to its Virtual Power Purchase Agreement.
- DaVita’s climate action goals for reducing carbon emissions were approved by the Science Based Targets initiative.
- Through charitable giving efforts, DaVita and its teammates:
- Launched a year-long pilot within the National Kidney Foundation’s THE BIG ASK: THE BIG GIVE platform to help improve health equity in kidney transplantation.
- Educated more than 37,000 adults on how to thrive with Type 2 diabetes in partnership with the American Diabetes Association®.
- The Tour DaVita event raised nearly $1 million to benefit Bridge of Life, a nonprofit founded by DaVita with international programs supporting the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases.
- 60 DaVita nurses were honored with The DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses®.
- Javier Rodriguez was named as one of Modern Healthcare’s ‘100 Most Influential People in Healthcare‘ and one of Fierce Healthcare’s ‘Most Influential Minority Executives in Healthcare.’
- DaVita received other notable awards and recognition from:
- FORTUNE® Magazine’s World’s Most Admired Companies
- Dow Jones Sustainability Index™ (DJSI) World List
- Black EOE Journal 2021 Top Diversity Employers
- MLT Black Equity at Work Certification “Plan Approved” Status